Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs-Article content Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: Clive Maxfield     Articles(339)     Visits(250609)     Comments(71)     Votes(220)     RSS
There is so much amazingly cool "stuff" to see and do that I'm amazed I find the time to get any real work done. In my blog I will waffle on about the books I'm reading, the projects I'm building, and the weird and wonderful websites I blunder across. Please Email Me if you see anything you think will "tickle my fancy."
Blog Archive
2014 -  Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2012 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
Comment | Add to Favorites

Posted: 06:33:20 PM, 20/03/2014

Alarm clock gives off bacon scent

I tell you, I am not making this stuff up. Well, my chum Jay just sent me a link to an Oscar Mayers' sponsored website boasting an alarm clock that wakes you with the scent of bacon and the sound of it sizzling on the stove. This website has the rather tantalizing URL of WakeUpAndSmellTheBacon.com.

This is not a cheap production by any stretch of the imagination. You start off by watching a video that is billed as "A Bacon Awakening Beyond Your Wildest Imagination." Now, I have a pretty wild imagination, but I have to admit that the video is really rather good.

You now go to the "Get The Device" page, where you see the message "Transform Your iPhone into a Bacon Scent Alarm Clock." There's even a little animation showing you what this will look like.

From here you click a link that invites you to "Apply for a chance to get the device" (another link invites you to "Download the free app from the iTunes store").

Of course I couldn't resist! I tried applying and was informed that, unfortunately, this was not to be my day. In fact, I was presented with another video featuring Phil Roudenbusch, whose job title is Oscar Mayer Bacon Cut & Design Chief (and I thought my job title was cool). In dulcet tones, Phil explained how deeply sorry he was personally that I hadn't won this time, but he reassured me that I was welcome to try again. (You really should take the tame to watch this video—it makes you feel good about losing.)

All in all it was a lot of fun, but I am left wondering if the bacon scent attachment really does exist, or whether it's just a cunning ruse to gain my attention (in which case it worked admirably). What do you think? Is this real, or am I just a sucker for all things bacon?

Views(1063) Comments(0)
Total [1] users voted     
[Last update: 06:33:55 PM, 20/03/2014]
Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs

• Disregard marketing at your own ris...
Posted:30/09/14 08:34 PM
• Chronicles of test capacity managem...
Posted:16/09/14 04:50 PM

• LCD inventor shook things up at DAR...
Posted:07/12/12 10:32 AM
• Robotics passion inspires Android c...
Posted:29/11/12 04:38 PM

• The perils of software/hardware hom...
Posted:18/09/14 05:39 PM
• How secure is the IoT?
Posted:20/08/14 06:53 PM

• Semiconductor industry goes past $3...
Posted:05/12/13 09:57 PM
• Is Moore's Law still relevant? Does...
Posted:11/08/13 02:56 PM
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back