Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: eeLife     Articles(61)     Visits(50589)     Comments(9)     Votes(44)     RSS
eeLife is about the engineering life, project challenges, engineering humour, community connections, career aspirations,... all that makes engineers tick.
Blog Archive
2015 -  Aug.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.  
2014 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.  
Posted: 10:09:15 PM, 28/08/2015
A snippet in the life of a cubicle rat.....   Ask any engineer about the biggest time-wasters at work, and odds are meetings will be near the top of his or her list.   Engineers are hardly alone – their feeling are widely shared across the broader workforce. Among the reasons ......

Vote(0)

Views(25)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 06:30:07 PM, 30/06/2015
Max has already extolled the apparent virtues of Amazon's Echo appliance, but as I mentioned to him, this thing is a serious threat to luddites everywhere. Yes, if you're already used to saying "Siri..." or "ok google now..", "Alexa" seems like yet another voi......

Vote(0)

Views(523)

Posted: 05:37:47 PM, 29/06/2015
So what's the problem with “free” as in “free beer”? I'm a sucker for “buy one, get one free” offers. There are a variety of costs, sometimes hidden, in free (as in beer) software.   Free (as in beer) software makes it difficult to recover the co......

Vote(0)

Views(371)

Posted: 07:56:43 PM, 15/06/2015
We often hear the word “freedom” in connection with Free Software and Open Source Software (FOSS). Actually, most use of the word comes from the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and its founder, Richard M. Stallman, repeating the term over and over[Note 1], until the word is almost ......

Vote(1)

Views(274)

Posted: 07:20:12 PM, 19/06/2015
Machines can do a better job than people at making some calls in sports. Why do we hesitate to use them or embrace the information they provide?   Don't they get it in Baseball? On TV, I watch the umpire call a ball on a pitch that is clearly a strike. How do I know? Because they show i......

Vote(0)

Views(97)

Posted: 07:47:02 PM, 08/06/2015
After reading Max’s blog on the Neo-Pixel clock by Duane Benson, I decided leap into the fray and make one myself.    The first challenge was to assemble the four 15-LED segments that make up the 60-LED ring. I saw how Duane had assembled his but I wanted to do it a little diffe......

Vote(0)

Views(209)

Posted: 08:46:23 PM, 01/06/2015
Max's recent blog (I've been a naughty engineer) sent me rummaging through my own notebooks for something I wrote a while back:    Keeping a record of the design progress, measured results, decisions made, and calculations performed are all part of the job description for any ......

Vote(0)

Views(282)

Posted: 07:48:33 PM, 01/06/2015
Ever since I’ve known Max, I have figured that there is no keeping up with him or even beating him -- that is until now when he challenged me to a design-off contest over who could build the best pixel ring clock. So I thought to give it a whirl.   This is a work in progress. Co......

Vote(0)

Views(345)

Posted: 05:54:52 PM, 29/05/2015
Technology continually changes, forcing managers at all companies to evaluate their present market position. New approaches that yield cheaper and more powerful solutions for customers that are might erode a company's product offerings. These may come from established companies or from start-u......

Vote(0)

Views(179)

Posted: 05:15:26 PM, 28/04/2015
In business school, they use case studies to see what works and what doesn't. In law school, they study old court arguments. But it's not often that an engineering school uses failure as a teaching tool.   I had this point brought home to me when speaking with Dave Nadler, a consult......

Vote(1)

Views(478)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back