Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: eeLife     Articles(40)     Visits(15980)     Comments(3)     Votes(38)     RSS
eeLife is about the engineering life, project challenges, engineering humour, community connections, career aspirations,... all that makes engineers tick.
Blog Archive
2014 -  Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.  
Posted: 07:33:23 PM, 10/07/2014
Accuracy and precision are of prime importance to engineers. You are designing and solving critical applications to ensure the highest product quality, system safety, and performance. You are solving complex calculations to ensure the greatest likelihood of success. There’s little room for g......

Vote(0)

Views(228)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 12:48:26 PM, 26/06/2014
Here's a story about peas -- more specifically, canned baby peas. While working for a semiconductor company in the 1970s, I had the opportunity to support a customer who developed industrial control systems for automating processing plants. He had a problem with one of our single-board compute......

Vote(2)

Views(247)

Posted: 09:43:44 PM, 25/06/2014
You have probably seen our own inscrutable Max Maxfield's recent blog on iPod/iPad/iPhone headphone output. He started by explaining some fairly fundamental analog concepts.   I emailed Max asking why he'd started off at such a simple level. He replied that, over time, he's come......

Vote(0)

Views(79)

Posted: 03:48:06 PM, 20/06/2014
In Part 1, I left off by discussing the industry shift to proactively managing tester configurations. I'm sure my story triggered memories of a similar season at your company when a more global assessment of your test configurations and capacity became essential to your survival. If so, how di......

Vote(0)

Views(84)

Posted: 09:04:35 PM, 05/06/2014
Water flow is usually used to explain basic electronics in the form of analogies. In this blog, after learning the hard way, I will attempt to explain basic water flow in terms of electronics.   It started one morning with a wet carpet just outside the laundry room and the water heater......

Vote(0)

Views(272)

Posted: 05:35:06 PM, 03/06/2014
Have you thought of being a consultant but then wonder "How do I start? How do I get clients? How much should I charge?"   Stick around here, and in this series I will share advice and lessons learned in my 30+ years as a consulting engineer (with the battle scars to show for it)......

Vote(0)

Views(119)

Posted: 05:42:15 PM, 30/05/2014
Most engineers are inherently introverts. Software engineering is often on the list of “best careers” for introverts, with counselors supporting this recommendation with statements like, “Spending time alone with a computer could be a dream come true for any introverted techie.&r......

Vote(0)

Views(152)

Posted: 08:04:03 PM, 23/05/2014
I recently underscored the major stakeholder groups in the test industry that care about test capacity and how it's managed: the test specifier, test provider, test equipment manufacturer, and third-party supplier. Over my long career in the test industry, I've been fortunate to have had t......

Vote(0)

Views(126)

Posted: 04:39:17 PM, 08/05/2014
From the beginning of my career in electrical engineering, I have noticed that engineers have a penchant for naming things. Names like Hewlett-Packard, Wang, and Rand Corp. have obvious etymologies, but others can be somewhat obscure or subject to cultural sensitivities. Obscure names for companie......

Vote(0)

Views(349)

Posted: 03:56:45 PM, 02/05/2014
The industry is quite obsessed with security these days, particularly as it transitions from traditional, standalone devices to the design of connected, networked systems that are “always on.”   But sometimes it's the people on the inside, not the outside, who unwitting......

Vote(0)

Views(235)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back