Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: Jack Ganssle     Articles(193)     Visits(278897)     Comments(30)     Votes(165)     RSS
Jack Ganssle is a lecturer and consultant specializing in embedded systems' development issues. He has been a columnist with Embedded Systems Design for over 20 years.
Blog Archive
2016 -  Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2015 -  Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2014 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
Posted: 05:49:49 PM, 18/04/2016
If you’re an old-timer you’ve most likely written code in a large number of languages that have many different underlying philosophies. Have you used Perl? That’s a lot different from the ideas behind Algol. Interpreted Basic is so easy it brought many people into this field, but......

Vote(0)

Views(255)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 07:02:55 PM, 14/03/2016
I have written extensively about designing ultra-low power systems that operate from coin cells. Unfortunately, a lot of vendor information is gilded with marketing malarkey; we engineers have to separate fact from aspiration and design using worst-case analysis.   Quite a few people have ......

Vote(1)

Views(233)

Posted: 05:58:02 PM, 12/02/2016
In a recent Embedded Muse Richard Wall reviews the latest version of Digilent’s Analog Discovery USB-connected scope. He really likes the user interface.   I’ve never met a customer of Salea’s Logic series of USB logic analyzers who didn’t wax poetic about the tools......

Vote(0)

Views(477)

Posted: 07:12:41 PM, 05/02/2016
Jakob Engblom shared an intriguing thought:   One thing that seems to be happening today with the whole “IoT” move and ubiquity of cellular communications (at least in the rich world) is that “in the field SW upgrade” is becoming easier and easier to do.  Syst......

Vote(0)

Views(447)

Posted: 06:42:41 PM, 21/01/2016
I earlier wrote about Ambiq’s new Cortex M4F MCU, which is made using transistors operating in the subthreshold region. Cortex licensees can add ARM’s optional memory protection unit (MPU), and indeed Ambiq chose to do so. In that piece I glibly wondered why they bothered.   Oo......

Vote(0)

Views(259)

Posted: 05:46:57 PM, 21/01/2016
An iWatch is something I woud never purchase. The silly thing must be removed and recharged more or less daily. My myopia makes using a bedside clock impossible, so I need a watch-on-wrist during the night to monitor my insomnia. A cheap Timex runs for years on a single primary cell. The iWatch ha......

Vote(0)

Views(282)

Posted: 09:37:47 PM, 30/10/2015
My dad grew up during the depression and was in the Navy in the tail end of WWII. He had little use for Japanese products, and to this day sniffs at anything from China. If it’s not made in America he’s not interested in the product, and anything from China is, in his opinion, junk. &......

Vote(0)

Views(814)

Posted: 05:56:56 PM, 07/10/2015
It isn’t often that firmware makes the news, but recently VW admitted that, in some of their cars, the engine control firmware detects when an emissions check is being done and then changes parameters to reduce pollution. That also cripples performance, so as soon as the test is done the car......

Vote(0)

Views(617)

Posted: 01:02:58 PM, 27/09/2015
ARM has over 200 licensees for their Cortex-M parts, and there are thousands of variants on the market. While they introduced the M7 last year, which offers incredible performance for an MCU, the bottom end of the line has elicited an enormous amount of interest. The M0 core only needs about 12,00......

Vote(0)

Views(567)

Posted: 07:46:50 PM, 28/08/2015
eBay is a treasure chest of test equipment. It’s astonishing the deals one can get on used equipment. Need an oscilloscope? If you can live with yesterday’s technology there are lots of excellent Tek, Agilent and HP versions there for surprisingly low prices.   Vendors offer ple......

Vote(0)

Views(575)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs

• Modern-day engineering notebooks
Posted:21/01/16 05:50 PM
• Meetings will persist until morale ...
Posted:28/08/15 10:09 PM

• LCD inventor shook things up at DAR...
Posted:07/12/12 10:32 AM
• Robotics passion inspires Android c...
Posted:29/11/12 04:38 PM

• Platform-independent way to generat...
Posted:02/10/15 06:21 PM
• Yes, phone market can still grow
Posted:11/09/15 08:57 PM

• Further on IoT opportunities for se...
Posted:05/05/15 03:18 PM
• New opportunities for Singapore sem...
Posted:16/02/15 06:21 PM
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back