Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: Clive Maxfield     Articles(387)     Visits(305118)     Comments(77)     Votes(227)     RSS
There is so much amazingly cool "stuff" to see and do that I'm amazed I find the time to get any real work done. In my blog I will waffle on about the books I'm reading, the projects I'm building, and the weird and wonderful websites I blunder across. Please Email Me if you see anything you think will "tickle my fancy."
Blog Archive
2015 -  Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2014 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
Posted: 05:38:10 PM, 25/04/2015
Well, I am all aquiver with excitement. When I returned from my trip to the UK last week (to celebrate what would have been my dear old dad's 100th birthday) I found a package waiting for me in my office.   The outside of the package informed me that its sender was my chum Duane Benson......

Vote(0)

Views(8)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 05:45:51 PM, 10/04/2015
Happy Friday (or whatever day it happens to be when you read this)! I recently spent a jolly happy weekend programming some new test-pattern lighting effects into my Bodacious Acoustic Diagnostic Astoundingly Superior Spectromatic (BADASS) Display.   As I mentioned in my previous column on ......

Vote(0)

Views(377)

Posted: 09:24:02 PM, 02/04/2015
The vast majority of the embedded designers I know generally create MCU-based systems -- they rarely even consider using a Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA).   Now, I think just about every embedded designer has at least heard of FPGAs. They understand that these devices can be configure......

Vote(2)

Views(562)

Posted: 09:11:41 PM, 02/04/2015
I have recently been exposed to a whole bunch of terms I've never heard before -- things like "Intelligent City Luminaries" and "Non-Conventional Surveillance (NCS)."   It seems that Altera has partnered with a company called Eutecus to develop multi-channel high-def......

Vote(0)

Views(263)

Posted: 07:57:16 PM, 30/03/2015
Do you want to see a really cool video -- one in which something works first time? Well in that case it's "Happy Dance" time because I'll show you one in just a moment, but first let me set the scene...   First of all, I would like to introduce the Simblee, which encompass......

Vote(0)

Views(207)

Posted: 08:00:17 PM, 26/03/2015
I've recently started to consider whether or not it would be right and proper for me to perform an experiment on a member of my family.     The modern world in the form of today's telecommunications systems couldn’t have come at a better time for my wife (Gina the Gorg......

Vote(0)

Views(148)

Posted: 06:54:35 PM, 20/03/2015
I guess that nothing should surprise me these days, but it seems like almost every day something new pops up that I would never have thought up by myself in a million years.   Take the Internet, for example. The original generic top-level domains (gTLDs) were something I could wrap my brain......

Vote(0)

Views(236)

Posted: 06:18:18 PM, 20/03/2015
One way I keep myself out of trouble is to always have a bunch of hobby projects on the go. A few years ago I started playing with Arduino microcontroller development boards. The great thing about these boards: they have so many add-on boards (called "shields") available, such as motor c......

Vote(0)

Views(91)

Posted: 05:27:42 PM, 20/03/2015
I truly believe we are on the brink of a major evolution in embedded systems technology involving embedded vision and embedded speech capabilities.   One example I often use to describe what I'm talking about is that of a humble electric toaster in the kitchen. Actually, that reminds me......

Vote(0)

Views(79)

Posted: 10:43:03 PM, 19/03/2015
As I mentioned in an earlier blog, my chum David Ashton from Australia tells me that his local Microchip Technology representative includes a "Joke of the Month" in his communications.   David often forwards these jokes to me. I particularly like the funny ones (LOL). The last......

Vote(0)

Views(118)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs

• Is engineering no longer as satisfy...
Posted:23/04/15 10:04 PM
• Grasping the maker ethos
Posted:27/03/15 01:34 PM

• LCD inventor shook things up at DAR...
Posted:07/12/12 10:32 AM
• Robotics passion inspires Android c...
Posted:29/11/12 04:38 PM

• Why IoT in the home is a security F...
Posted:27/02/15 09:04 PM
• A look at the many names of IoT
Posted:22/01/15 07:08 PM

• New opportunities for Singapore sem...
Posted:16/02/15 06:21 PM
• New Power - and the Semiconductor c...
Posted:18/01/15 10:49 PM
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back