Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: Clive Maxfield     Articles(313)     Visits(223730)     Comments(61)     Votes(210)     RSS
There is so much amazingly cool "stuff" to see and do that I'm amazed I find the time to get any real work done. In my blog I will waffle on about the books I'm reading, the projects I'm building, and the weird and wonderful websites I blunder across. Please Email Me if you see anything you think will "tickle my fancy."
Blog Archive
2014 -  Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2012 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
Posted: 11:49:08 PM, 18/07/2014
Several days ago, Menta of Montpellier, France, announced that it had selected IEEE-compliant Verilog, SystemVerilog, and VHDL parsers from Verific to serve as the front-end to Menta's Origami Designer and Origami Programmer tools used to create embedded FPGAs for SoC designs.   On the ......

Vote(2)

Views(60)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 11:42:49 PM, 18/07/2014
Well, I'm pleased to say that things are bouncing along with regard to my Bodacious Acoustic Diagnostic Astoundingly Superior Spectromatic (BADASS) display project. As I discussed in this blog, the plan for my first-pass incarnation of this project is to use an Arduino Mega microcontroller pla......

Vote(1)

Views(46)

Posted: 07:20:52 PM, 10/07/2014
As you are surely aware (unless you've been living under a rock), I am enamoured with things like Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (in the form of games like Obduction and headsets like the Oculus Rift).   Well, I just received a message from my chum Rich Quinnell, who is the Edito......

Vote(0)

Views(41)

Posted: 12:35:17 PM, 26/06/2014
I usually get questions about the differences between various types of devices, such as ASICs, ASSPs, SoCs, and FPGAs. Is an SoC an ASIC, or vice versa, for example? What's the difference between an ASIC and an ASSP? And should a high-end FPGA be classed as a form of SoC?   There are se......

Vote(1)

Views(77)

Posted: 09:34:22 PM, 25/06/2014
Some time ago, I stumbled upon the most amazing hover scooter. I don't care what anyone says. I think this is really, really cool. I can so see myself cruising around our neighborhood on this. Apart from anything else, it would make my 19-year-old son and his friends so jealous that I was havi......

Vote(0)

Views(79)

Posted: 04:08:50 PM, 19/06/2014
In my post yesterday, I described the building of a low-cost frequency generator. This is part of my Bodacious Acoustic Diagnostic Astoundingly Superior Spectromatic (BADASS) Display project.   I need the frequency generator to squirt known signals into my display to ensure that everything ......

Vote(0)

Views(132)

Posted: 06:12:05 PM, 18/06/2014
As you may remember, one of my current hobby projects is my Bodacious Acoustic Diagnostic Astoundingly Superior Spectromatic Display (a.k.a. BADASS Display). I will be the only one on my street to have one of these little beauties; how the neighbors will envy me (LOL).   The display its......

Vote(0)

Views(117)

Posted: 08:00:28 PM, 17/06/2014
I just received an email from a reader, Betajet, posing an interesting problem:   Hey Max, if a major semiconductor company offered a 32-bit development board for $4.00, you'd think that was pretty big news, right? Well, by happenstance, two days ago I discovered these CY8CKIT-049 4xxx ......

Vote(0)

Views(97)

Posted: 07:07:39 PM, 10/06/2014
I am humbled and humiliated. Even worse, I am guilty of violating one of the Ten Commandments -- the one that starts "Thou shalt not covet thy..."   Happily, I don’t covet my neighbor's house (I like ours better), or his wife (although she is a very pleasant lady), or hi......

Vote(0)

Views(102)

Posted: 02:38:28 PM, 06/06/2014
I do not intend to dispatch the butler to fetch my angry trousers, but I do feel moved to say something. More and more these days, I am noticing people wishing their lives away and/or moaning about "how hard things are" (and not in a good way).   I know it's easy to dwell in t......

Vote(1)

Views(267)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back