Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: Clive Maxfield     Articles(413)     Visits(348320)     Comments(79)     Votes(230)     RSS
There is so much amazingly cool "stuff" to see and do that I'm amazed I find the time to get any real work done. In my blog I will waffle on about the books I'm reading, the projects I'm building, and the weird and wonderful websites I blunder across. Please Email Me if you see anything you think will "tickle my fancy."
Blog Archive
2015 -  Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2014 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   May.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
Posted: 09:54:48 PM, 28/08/2015
We are definitely living in interesting times. Over the years I've read a lot of science fiction stories that depicted various flavors of the future, many of which involved the concept of cyber security and nefarious strangers trying to access one's data.     Generally spea......

Vote(0)

Views(20)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 08:53:02 PM, 08/08/2015
The times they are a-changin', as Bob Dylan would say. For example, technologies that we couldn’t have dreamed of when I was a kid have already come and gone (think "pagers" -- need I say more?).   Then there are new ways of communicating. I remember a few years ago when......

Vote(0)

Views(104)

Posted: 08:18:36 PM, 07/08/2015
Do you recall that old play, Arsenic and Old Lace, which is best known for the Frank Capra film interpretation starring Cary Grant?   The central character, Mortimer Brewster, has to contend with the fact that his family -- which is descended from the "Mayflower" -- is now compose......

Vote(0)

Views(101)

Posted: 06:54:34 PM, 31/07/2015
OK, before we begin, let's remind ourselves that I'm a hardware designer by trade. When it comes to software in general -- and C in particular -- I know only enough to be dangerous.   I have a project on the go at the moment. This is a secret squirrel project whose purpose -- for th......

Vote(0)

Views(168)

View Article    Comment(2)

Posted: 06:24:24 PM, 25/07/2015
Several days ago, I received an email from my chum Jay Dowling. The subject of this email was "Which 'Big Bang Theory' Character Are You?"   Obviously I was intrigued. I love The Big Bang Show. By some strange quirk of fate, I even have the bobble-head characters for Sheld......

Vote(0)

Views(240)

Posted: 10:20:49 PM, 23/07/2015
I'm constantly being amazed by other people's creative design ideas. Take the computer stylus, for example. If you asked me to design a new one, I'm pretty sure that whatever I came up with would pretty much look like a re-imagined pencil (with a softer, blunter point, of course). &nb......

Vote(0)

Views(95)

Posted: 01:01:47 PM, 18/07/2015
I recently got a message from Antti Lukats, who is the research and development manager at Trenz Electronic in Germany. Antii pointed me at his latest project called DIPSY on the Hackaday website.     The DIPSY is a tiny (10mm x 10mm) FPGA module that's priced at only $5 USD. DI......

Vote(0)

Views(243)

Posted: 09:35:31 PM, 16/07/2015
My chum Jay Dowling manages to find an incredible amount of interesting "stuff" on the Internet. Every day, he sends me a cornucopia of links to general science, physics, astronomy, technology, engineering, etc. sites -- whatever takes his fancy at the time (speaking of time, I don&rsquo......

Vote(0)

Views(202)

Posted: 07:18:11 PM, 14/07/2015
I am quite into reading traditional science fiction and fantasy books, but I also have a soft spot for graphic novels. In fact, I recently posted a blog that introduces five graphic novel series I'm currently reading.   One series I didn’t mention in that column is Alex + Ada by ......

Vote(0)

Views(160)

Posted: 09:14:48 PM, 10/07/2015
For the last couple of years, I've been waffling on about how embedded vision and embedded speech capabilities are racing towards us.   One example I often use is that of an electric toaster. Imagine purchasing a new toaster, taking it out of its box, and powering it up. Now imagine it......

Vote(0)

Views(195)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back