Global Sources
EE Times AsiaWebsite
Stay in touch with EE Times Asia
eeBlogs Home / eeBlog / eeBlogs
Nickname: eeInvestigations     Articles(81)     Visits(46613)     Comments(4)     Votes(50)     RSS
Engineering Investigations creates blog space for engineers to describe how they cracked a baffling technical problem and talk about ingenious solutions they developed to solve it. It celebrates your achievements and inspires others to follow suit.
Blog Archive
2014 -  Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   Mar.,   Feb.,   Jan.  
2013 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.,   Aug.,   Jul.,   Jun.,   Apr.,   Mar.,   Feb.  
2012 -  Dec.,   Nov.,   Oct.,   Sep.  
Posted: 06:33:57 PM, 20/08/2014
Do you still remember the Heathkit "Stackables"? These were presented with a blue plastic box and a white front panel in build-it-yourself kit form.   As I recall, the Ix-528x series included a multimeter, RF signal generator, audio signal generator, signal tracer, RLC bridge, and......

Vote(0)

Views(68)

View Article    Comment(0)

Posted: 06:26:43 PM, 20/08/2014
In the industrial realm, electronic control is about inputs and outputs. What goes on between the two is a "black box." These inputs and outputs are never at the supply voltage of the black box electronics -- unless, of course, the system is realized exclusively in relays -- and so the s......

Vote(0)

Views(54)

Posted: 04:21:58 PM, 14/08/2014
One of the many astonishing aspects of today's fiber-optic connectors is the mechanical precision that allows low-loss mated pairs, especially considering that single-mode fiber has an optical core of about 9 microns in diameter. Two of these cores, from opposing fibers, must be aligned with a......

Vote(0)

Views(56)

Posted: 06:15:17 PM, 06/08/2014
An analogue engineer teams up with a digital engineer, they use their respective skills, and pull a few bunnies out of a hat to troubleshoot a system with which they are completely unfamiliar. Our sales department had just accepted a new challenge on behalf of Engineering. They promised a customer......

Vote(0)

Views(91)

Posted: 07:58:11 PM, 10/07/2014
A week ago, I posted this blog in which I posed a puzzle involving the following circuit:   Click here for a larger image.   As I noted, these are a number of clues hidden in the schematic. From these clues, your mission was to describe the most likely loads for the drains of tran......

Vote(0)

Views(211)

Posted: 05:28:26 PM, 04/07/2014
There is a conceptual project that I hope to make reality soon. I was able to present it at one of the Gadget Smackdown sessions at the EE Live! 2014 conference and exhibition. This project is an open-source radio transmitter for RC hobbyists. This transmitter will be reconfigurable, allowing it t......

Vote(0)

Views(143)

Posted: 06:31:30 PM, 03/07/2014
When I first tried to run a quantum mechanical calculation in a computer, I used a humble Sinclair Spectrum ZX+. These days we have GFLOPs-scale computational capabilities available to us in products as unassuming as a smartphone.   Quantum simulations that previously required a huge and ex......

Vote(0)

Views(162)

Posted: 08:14:56 PM, 02/07/2014
What are the missing loads? This circuit board plugs into something, but we know not what.   Click here for a larger image.   From the clues (there are at least four of them) hidden in the schematic above, what would you say are the most likely loads for the drains of transistors......

Vote(0)

Views(122)

Posted: 10:03:50 PM, 25/06/2014
Teeth may soon be repaired without the drill, so dreaded by some, as a new technique has been developed at King’s College London.   It is called electrically accelerated and enhanced re-mineralization (EAER), and the inventors claim that it accelerates the natural movement of calcium ......

Vote(0)

Views(131)

Posted: 01:28:13 PM, 13/06/2014
PCB layout designers used to work from schematics that were usually drawn in a meaningful way so as to show circuit functionality and to be readable. For example, cross-page connects indicated by angled wires pointing to each other. (See My preference for creating my own PCB symbols.)   The......

Vote(1)

Views(184)

Have Your Say!

Bloggers Say

Got something to say? Why not share it with other engineers?

Just introduce yourself to us, we'll contact you and set you up. Yes, it's that simple!

See what engineers like you are posting on our pages.

eeBlogs

• Disregard marketing at your own ris...
Posted:30/09/14 08:34 PM
• Chronicles of test capacity managem...
Posted:16/09/14 04:50 PM

• LCD inventor shook things up at DAR...
Posted:07/12/12 10:32 AM
• Robotics passion inspires Android c...
Posted:29/11/12 04:38 PM

• The perils of software/hardware hom...
Posted:18/09/14 05:39 PM
• How secure is the IoT?
Posted:20/08/14 06:53 PM

• Semiconductor industry goes past $3...
Posted:05/12/13 09:57 PM
• Is Moore's Law still relevant? Does...
Posted:11/08/13 02:56 PM
Interviews & Viewpoints

Talk

Learn how senior executives are seeing the industry from interviews and contributed opinions.

Back